The stings of bees, wasps, yellow jackets and ants can all cause painful swelling and redness at the site of the sting. Stings usually occur on the area around the nose or the feet. Swelling may extend to the face and neck. If stung a number of times, the dog may go into shock as a result of absorbed toxins. If the dog has been stung in the past and had a reaction, anaphylactic shock may result with subsequent stinging incidents.
Signs of Anaphylactic Shock include:
Since black widow and brown recluse spider bites are toxic to animals, signs to look for if your pet gets bit are:
shock and death can occur, especially with the bite of the black widow
spider. Antivenin is available to treat these bites.
1. Identify the
Make sure to avoid aggravating the shock by:
This was an excerpt from the book, "Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" 3rd Edition by James M. Giffin MD & Liisa D. Carlson, DVM.
Pug Dogs Home